Saturday, February 11, 2012

Night snookin

Friday night 2/10/12 myself and my brother in law launched in an undisclosed area around 10:30pm. It was raining like crazy, winds were howling and the docklights were illuminated. The range of depth fished was from 8-14 foot. My lure of the night was a 1/8 oz mission fishin jig head and a doa glow and silver paddle tail. My brother in laws bait was a doa night glow shrimp. This would be a nice test for that lowrance fish finder/ gps as this spot is new to me with a ton of cuts. Made my waypoint and off to fishing we went.

We hit the docks hard. It was a challenge to get a good angle to cast by and under docks. The wind was just blowing us downstream. We come around a bend and my brother in law says to me " two good casts under that dock and I can guarantee you a snook" I made my first cast and it bounced off the dock and fell right in front of it. Nothing. Second cast was made right on the money. Halfway underneath the dock retrieving the lure in front of a pylon. 2 bounces of the paddle tail and THUMP!! FISH ON!! A short tug or war later and a close encounter with the nearby bushes I landed a nice little snookie. My first night time dock snook.



We kept working more docks with not much more luck. I found a really nice mangrove shoreline with a nice cut in that was pitch black. A textbook ambush spot. Depth was 4 foot, with an adjacent 11 foot dropoff. I told my brother in law " that's a really nice snook spot, a really nice one." One cast in there inches from the shoreline...bounce, bounce...blamo!! Fish on!! After I set the hook I knew this was a really good snook. I had my drag really tight and this guy made my stradic ci4 3000 sing. Down the mangroves he went, up the mangroves he went, in the mangroves.....nope...palmed the spool, turned his head and he comes towards me. Whew...the rest was easy. Landed him in deeper water. Estimate size roughly 28-30.



We hit a couple more bends and I picked up 2 more peckerheads and my brother in law picked up a few more. By 330am the winds picked up to about 30mph gusts and 20 mph constant. We decided to head back. We really wanted to hit the major solunar, but we were cold, wet and our hardcore mojo was running out. Made our way back to the waypoint and it was dead accurate. AWESOME!! Total for the night for me was 4 snook and my brother in law was 4 or 5 snook. What a great 5 hours on the water. Can't wait to do it again.

Keep it hardcore!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment